Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Let's Get It On


I'm so happy to say that I woke up to 248.6 lbs this morning. I thought my scale was playing a late April Fools joke on me, but after several weigh ins, I convinced myself that it must be true.

When you hear Marvin Gaye say, "Let's get it on," you probably have thoughts of taking a beautiful woman and making sweet love down by the fire, but when you hear Mills Lane or Big John McCarthy say it, you know someone's about to get their ass whooped. Well this blog is about the latter. I got a text from Chris Haines yesterday, and he asked me if I wanted to fight on May 14th. Nervous, excited, and fearful, I agreed to fight. The first thought that crossed my head was, "Shit! I'm going to have to take my shirt off in front of people." I'll get over that as soon as the punches start flying.

I was a ball of nerves yesterday, but it soon turned to nervous excitement. I called my mom and my brother to share the news with them, and they were really supportive. Then I called a couple of good friends, who were also very supportive. I'm trying to stay positive, and not dwell on my fears. I don't want to get knocked out, and I don't want to crap my pants. Anything beyond that, and I'll be happy with my performance. If I can go the distance like Rocky, I'll feel victorious. But in all honesty, I'm not training to lose - I'm training to win. I want to win. Two men are entering the cage, and one of us has to win. Why can't it be me? So I'm focusing on as much positivity as I can. I'm visualizing my victory, and trying to suppress any thoughts of defeat.

I don't want to discuss too much about my training camp or our game plan, but today was the first day. It was pretty rough. Chris and I talked afterward, and he gave me some good advice and words of encouragement. As nervous as I am about this fight, I'm really looking forward to it. I want to see what I'm capable of. What's my limit? Can I go beyond that limit? I'll soon find out.

My family, my friends, and everyone at Delano MMA and Fitness has been really great. Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I'll keep you updated as things progress. All or nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment