Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Cold Hard Truth

Sorry for the long delay folks. The blogs may have slowed down, but after a brief respite from the gym for the holidays (mostly work related), I'm back in there trying to tear it up again.

Days like this really make me miss my home state of Texas. The streets are glazed with black ice, and the air is as cold as...something really, really cold. I forgot to weigh myself this morning, but I'm still caught between 267 and 270 lbs. My plan was to lose an average of 2 lbs a week and be 100 lbs lighter for 2012. So far I haven't been able to accomplish that. I'll need to change up a few things in my diet, and Chris has been changing up some exercises for me in the gym.

Today felt particularly harsh because it was so cold. My muscles were sore and tight from the past few days, and my stretching didn't seem to help my joints feel any more limber. Chris put me through a pretty good ringer today. I did a little weight training today, and much to my chagrin, I started losing steam way sooner than I expected. So many things don't phase me, but that was a real blow to my male ego. Note to self: get stronger.

A while back I got a custom mouthguard, and I really like it. Mouthguards always advertise how they can help reduce the risk of a concussion. I never understood how a little piece of plastic in your mouth could do that. I understood how it protected your teeth, but a concussion? I didn't get it. About a week ago I forgot all my gear at home, and I did some light sparring with Casey at the gym. Casey is a woman. She's tall and lean, but nothing really seems intimidating about her. When I "spar" with the women at the gym, I don't throw any real punches because I just can see myself hitting a woman in any capacity. I just can't or won't do it. I'll throw some fakes to keep them on their toes or to remind them to keep their guard up, but never anything with an ounce of power behind it. So back to the story. I was sparring with Casey, and I didn't have a mouthguard or any kind of protective gear, but I figured it wasn't such a big deal. I forgot how hard Casey hits. She's only been doing this a couple of months, but once she learns a little more, she will be a force to reckon with. At one point she caught me with a hook to the head, and my head jerked in such a way that my teeth hit each other. That hurt, but the surprising part was how much force my lower jaw had when it hit my upper jaw. I see now how the mouthguard helps. It must act as a shock absorber. That's good motivation to remember to bring your gear everyday to the gym. Since then I've gotten some headgear for a little extra protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment