Thursday, January 27, 2011

Some Days Are Harder Than Others

Yesterday I was really bummed out because my scale said that I was back up to 271 lbs. It was a real wake up call that I was doing something wrong, and I'm positive it's somewhere in my diet. Today my scale read 266.2 lbs. I don't know if my scale is broken, but I don't think you can lose 4.8 lbs in one day. Whatever the case may be, this is the only scale I have so I have to trust what it displays.

I hate circuit training. I mean I love it, but I hate it. Chris has been putting us through a lot circuits lately. I recognize the benefit, but, man, they're hard. Yesterday was a good workout with one embarrassment. Chris wanted us to do (try and do) some pull-ups. Never in my life have I been able to do a pull-up. I just don't have the upper body strength for it yet (but it is one of my goals). The best I was able to do was hang from the bar and raise myself maybe an eighth of an inch. The worst I did was to not even be able to grip the bar well enough to just hang. It's just another in a series of reminders that the Lord is teaching me the virtue of humility.

I got some pretty decent rest last night, and I figured I'd be feeling good today. I felt good, but my body disagreed. I was sore, mostly in my arms and shoulders from my wimpy pull-ups. Today's circuit didn't help either; each exercise felt increasingly harder. Tire flipping, squatting medicine ball toss, double box jumps... it just kept getting harder and harder. In between each exercise we had to jump rope. After each exercise I couldn't wait to jump rope so I could rest and try and catch my breath. How often does it happen that you look forward to jumping rope so you can rest? Today might have been the first time for me. No matter what though, Chris won't let you give up on yourself, and I really needed that extra motivation today. That goes a long way with me, and that's one of the main reasons I like going to my gym. Now I just need to muster the strength to get through the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment