Friday, February 4, 2011

Get On Top Of Me

My scale was all over the place this morning, so I'm going to estimate my weight to be somewhere between 265 and 267 lbs. Pretty much the same as the past month or so. I'm not too happy about that, but still I continue with my plans.

I didn't make it on time to the 8 am class, but I was early for the 9 am class today. I used the extra time to warm up with some jumping rope. Chris has had me mixing up my jump rope routine to make it a little harder. If you've ever seen a Rocky movie, I can do pretty much all his jump rope techniques. That may not sound like much to you, but I never thought I'd be doing the criss-cross jump rope. That's pretty easy for me now. The one that I had trouble with a couple of months ago was the one where you jump on one foot twice, and then switch to the other foot. That's not a great description, but it's the technique you see at the beginning of this video. In the beginning I couldn't balance well, and my rhythm was way off. I just wanted to throw my hands in the air and go back to the regular jump rope style. Chris pushed me, and I eventually got it down pretty well. I could tell that my left side was weaker though because I had more trouble balancing and hopping from that side. My left side has gotten stronger - not quite as strong as my dominant right side, but a noticeable improvement. I can actually get a pretty good, fast rhythm with that style now. Again, I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but these are little things that I never thought I'd be doing.

Now for the big things. After the fitness class, I took my first Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this. I know it's not going to be easy, but the best things in life rarely are. It's awkward at first having a guy sit on your chest, but you get over that pretty quickly. You have to. This definitely works a bunch of different muscles than my other training because I got tired pretty fast. So that's another great aspect of it. I don't have a whole lot to say about it just yet because I just started, but if anyone wants me to put them in an armbar, I can. All in all, I'd say I had a great day of training, and I'm looking forward to many more great days with the guys at Delano MMA and Fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment